2013 Annual Report
- The Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) formed the core focus of SFP’s advocacy efforts in 2013 and early 2014. Beginning in January 2013 and concluding in March 2014 on adoption of the revised TPD, SFP worked tirelessly to increase awareness of strong tobacco control measures in the European Parliament and the Council of the EU by coordinating national responses, providing detailed analysis and recommendations, and following developments closely.
- SFP produced a number of effective advocacy tools including the SFP Mythbuster, advert in the European Voice and a flyer illustrating the difference between health warnings covering 50% and 75% of tobacco packaging.
- In April 2013, SFP held a breakfast debate and exhibition in the European Parliament in Brussels to bring European policy-makers and leading tobacco control experts together to discuss the evidence supporting large pictorial warnings, plain standardised packaging, point-of-sale display bans and effective measures to combat illicit trade.
- SFP, in conjunction with a consortium, was successfully awarded a framework contract by the EU’s Executive Agency for Health and Consumers (EAHC) in August 2013 which will focus on the implementation of the Tobacco Products Directive and specifically the marketing, labelling and packaging of tobacco and related products.
- SFP warmly welcomed the Irish Cancer Society as a Temporary Partner during the revision of the TPD. The Irish Cancer Society is the leading provider of cancer information in Ireland and has been instrumental in the national standardised packaging campaign.