Setting the EU tobacco control agenda and celebrating the ’Pledge'
Monday, 31 May 2010
31 May 2010. The Smoke Free Partnership organised an event in the European Parliament, Brussels, to celebrate World No Tobacco Day 2010.
The conference provided an opportunity to acknowledge MEPs that are signatories to the Tobacco Free Europe campaign, to mark the fifth anniversary of the entry into force of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control to which the EU and all but one Member State are signatories, and to celebrate The Year of The Lung.
Finally, with a new European Parliament and Commission in place and tobacco legislation now in preparation, the Smoke Free Partnership took this opportunity to reflect on the future of tobacco control at European level.
Speakers and Panelists:
- John Dalli, European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Policy
- Dr. Nedret Emiroglu, WHO EURO Director of Division
- Florence Berteletti Kemp, Director - Smoke Free Partnership
- Rob Cunningham, International expert on tobacco health warnings - Canadian Cancer Society
- Fiona Godfrey, Regional and Legal Advisor, Europe - International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
- Prof. Gerard Hastings, Director - Institute for Social Marketing (UK)
- Andrew Hayes, Past President - European Public Health Alliance
- Luk Joossens, Advocacy Officer - Association of European Cancer Leagues
- Nicola McFadyen, Youth Advocate, W-West (Why Waste Everything Smoking Tobacco)
- Dr. Karine Gallopel Morvan, Associate Professor in Social Marketing - Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Rennes 1
- Prof. Nikos Siafakas, President - European Respiratory Society
- Natasha Toropova, Advocacy Coordinator in Ukraine - Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
- Jean King, Cancer Research UK
This event is part of the Tobacco Free Europe Campaign initiative. The Tobacco Free Europe Campaign is committed to transparency about its funding which comes from the Smoke Free Partnership, the European Heart Network, the European Cancer Leagues, the European Respiratory Society, and the European Network for Smoking Prevention, as well as from unrestricted educational grants from Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Novartis.
Please see below for some of the pictures from our event: